Saturday, December 02, 2006

being too critical?




Two nights ago I went out for the first real time alone in DC. I staggered out, despite feeling completely drained by work, to see my favorite production of all time, A Raisin in the Sun. Somewhere around 7th grade I fell in love with Lorraine Hansberry's seminal work and was committed to playing Beneatha one way or another. In the Spring of 2005 I got my chance on stage at the Carver Theater in Birmingham.
See my photo with Asagai...<--------

In addition to being directed by my favorite director, Niyi Coker, A Raisin turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences ( at least in my adult life). It'd been a while since I'd done any acting and getting back to a great form of self-expression was what I really needed at that point in life ( i.e. crazy ass boyfriend, too much adult responsibility, other people's respoonsibility, caring for children, raising adults, you know the usual crisis-forming scenarios).

Given that background, as I left the theater I started to wonder if I was being too subjective in my critique of the production at H street's Atlas theater. It's opening night and most of the kinks in production get worked around week 1. Seated, I found myself reciting lines and remembering the blocking & passion I had in my performance. Intermission is when it really hit me, I need to cut that shit out....Let these people perform the piece like they want to , like they've rehearsed. Yeah,yeah, yeah, I gets that way sometimes...meditation helps most of the time, but being away from my nag champas and floor pillows I found it difficult to really get free. I eventually did, of course and by the time Act II rolled around, the actors had warmed up and I'd cooled down...enough to really enjoy the play. Laughing out loud (i meanLOuD) and seeing the actors for their rendition of a truly magnificent work.
The show ended and even though I didn't find myself giving a standing ovation, I could truly appreciate others loving what I'd fell in love with a long time ago. Congrats on a fab opening night Cast......and umm look out for me, coming soon to an audition near you....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throughout the play I enjoyed the gentlemen who played Asagai. His Nigerian accent was stellar and so was his performance. Lively, passionate,understanding...mr As-a-guy...you get my vote of superior, you and mama, and walter, and ruth...Keep the embers burning.....I was just hating that's all....lol....

No comments: