Friday, August 11, 2006

Terror Insurance.....hmmmm....

Yesterday, the first news I received was that of a "foiled" terror plot on UK aircrafts traveling towards the US. I'm becoming less and less interested in watching the news....I've already eliminated local and most cable stations...but I still must watch CNN. So 23:45 minutes of yesterday the repeating story detailed some "probable Pakistani" natives who worked at Heathrow and their attempt to blow up planes with gatorade or something like that.


Don't get me wrong people should be informed on world happenings and the like, but stop with the promotion of fear. I did watch and was interested for the first 35 minutes of the coverage yesterday, only to find today more terror/fear based product promotion. Now before we travel, not only must we have our belongings in clear plastic bags..... we need terror insurance. Yes, dear friends ...terror insurance. If you're wondering how it all works, imagine this. If you decide not to fly because of a terror threat somewhere, you can just charge that to your terror insurance. They'll foot the bill if you want to cancel any type of travel based on perceived terror threats. Now at first thought, it does sound good, considering all the threats the US is likely to receive throughout our continuous reign of capitalism and oppression.

But really, lets think about this. Do we really need another gallon of gasoline added to our fear-based flames we call life? Call me unrealistic...call me naive...hell call me crazy, but I'm thinking of our futures..... Now presuming that one day I'll decide to have kids or you'll decide to have kids do we want them to continue to live in this frightened fish tank of world? I see this insurance as a huge step in dealing with the symptoms of terrorism instead of the root causes.We'll just keep building our defenses instead of our offense. Where is a good World Cup coach when you need one? I think Americans are not into prevention based approaches to world problems, i.e. terrorism,world hunger,homelessness,drug addiction, insert other social ills here.
Will we realize that bomb-proofing our houses will not prevent terrorism? We gotta get some new thinkers on these issues......

No comments: