Sunday, August 27, 2006

Will the spotlight last? Black HIV cases

It seems as though ABC's documentary on HIV/AIDS in Black America did a great deal for prevention efforts. Since the documentary aired on Thursday I've been talking out the wazoo about HIV in our community. If you didn't catch check out this. The major points highlighted were homophobia & silence in the Black community, rapidly increasing rates among women & their social status, and the silence of the Black church. While the doc didn't tell me anything I haven't learned in the last 5 years, I think it may have served as a wake-up call for some. Statistics may frighten some and encourage others. Par exemple....Swallowing this statistic may be difficult....Black people=13% of the population and Black women= 52% of the newly diagnosed HIV cases.
More Feb 2005 statistics here---> http://www.thebody.com/cdc/afam_prevalence.html

If you hadn't heard news like that then you can imagine how shocking it can be. I've been approached several times to talk about HIV since the doc and at one of the best locations to talk about sex and HIV..........a martini bar...........Can you think of a better place to have intellectual conversation, well umm I'm sure you could. Despite popular belief, tipsy people can make some rather insightful comments*
The conversations were productive and in between sips of Riesling, I encouraged more prevention and fundraising activities. I even gave out prominent HIV contact information for the state of Alabama. I can only hope that a documentary along with other outreach can create a lasting effect. I'm doing my part and I can only hope that the afterglow lasts. I'll be curious to see if testing rates go up at work next week. I'll keep you posted and you let me know when you were last tested.

Until then, we must continue to do to push HIV to the forefront by ending the silence and start talking...any and everywhere! One of the key statements that emerged from the white gay male fight against AIDS was "silence equals death". We must learn to adopt this statement in order to reduce the damage already being done by HIV. The problem with this like many other issues in Black America is silence is a pattern. Some individuals who lack self-worth accept a culture of "oh well" and AIDS in no exception. I'll continue to fight the battle and encourage others to get tested, use condoms,and change social dynamics .......... what will you do to kill the silent epidemic?

No comments: